Tuesday, June 17, 2008

CAMCORDER GUY

You know this gig that I was telling you about at the Durell on Sunday (15/6/08) Well I gotta tell you we turned up there with the intention to film three acts pre-arranged. The acts were Bluesman Tom, Mozes and my favourite girl AJ. Well as it happens we didn’t have our inhouse mixit camera crew (and there’s a funny story that I’ll tell you about another time) So we arranged a last minute replacement who I’m gonna call camcorder guy. Now Camcorder guy was there for one and only one reason and that was just to capture what he could of my three on stage and film an interview with them afterward. Well we started off well enough and he went in sized up the joint took out his camcorder and promptly got to work filming from just off right side of the stage and everything was looking good. We’re about half an hour in and camcorder guy is moving around and getting shots from this angle and keeping the camera going getting shots from that angle and I’m beginning to relax now because he seems to know what he’s doing.

So I've taken my eye off him I'm doin' my thing and networking and briefing here and working n had a mini panic because Mozes is now on stage and I particularly want to capture Mozes ministering to his flock (And yes MOZES IN MOTION is like a religious experience. You gotta see it! Feel it, to believe it) An Mozes is banging away and there's CAMCORDER but NO CAMCORDER GUY!

I've recovered from my mini breakdown and flown out of the main floor floor in a mad desperate hunt for this geezer. Shot through the first bar on to the next one and there he is sitting on a bench talking on his mobile. So I've interrupted him and told him "My man's on stage this is what you are here to record" He's kind of nodded but carries on talking on his phone. I've walked back into the audience area grabbed this poor unsuspecting guy up off his chair plonked the camcorder in his hands and said "Film this! and don't you dare let that camera shake! " He's looked at me, looked at the camcorder inhis hand looked at his girlfriend still sitting there looked back at me and starts filming the show. Ive gone "Thanks mate. I really appreciate this NO shaking now" and walked off back to find out how long my mans gonna be on his telephone call.

The short version of this saga is that Camcorder guy was chatting up the girls when he should have been surveying the acts, having a drink at the bar when he should have been filming interviews with AJ offstage and most comical of all cavorting on stage in the all-in-MUSICIANS/ARTIST's who have appeared on the bill Jam session at the end of the session, when he should have been covering the all-in-MUSICIANS/ARTIST's Jam session on his camcorder!!

So my peop’s we don’t know if we have anything to show you. As I write this I have no footage in hand. I’m not sure if we are gong to have any footage ever; because camcorder guy has gone on the lam, switched off his phone and has been unavailable all day Monday. Thing is you see that camcorder guy has got the two two hour tapes and was supposed to be downloading them to let me have them to put up here for you to get a taste of what a brilliant evening you all missed

If anybody sees camcorder guy on his travels please tell him that there is an audience of a few million possibly billions of mixit viewers out there waiting to see the footage that he shot.
I can’t seem to get it out of my head that I may have missed a trick and that maybe I should have had the camcorder on the guy instead of the guy on the camcorder
Fortunately we had the top notch super duper man a da moment photographic genius extraordinair: CHARLES HENRY (AKA JACKO) on hand to shoot some stills for you. All Hail Jacko! HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACKO.... take a look at these then:

No comments: