Sunday, June 15, 2008

Promo CD Sales - judges make a bad decision ?

Honestly, I think I must be the only one that thinks the majority of the legal decisions around music are completely insane, normally - big companies going after the little man, often students and kids, I used to walk past millions of bootleg DVD stalls in markets all over the place, but it seems like these aren't as important as students sharing music...

But this latest decision is almost on the side of the little guy - essentially the most recent ruling reports that if you send a promo cd to someone - a demo to someone in the hope that they will like it, give you a deal or something else - they can in fact sell it!

Don't get me wrong - I think there should be a time limit on this, if I had a Beatles one then I would love to sell it, but if someone sent in to us a CD which was marked not for resale, maybe because the content wasn't supposed to be in the public domain just yet... I would be annoyed if we or anyone like us 'sold it on'.

I would be seriously interested to hear what you have to say about this, either here (comment please!) or in the forum...

I have 3 questions

- Should you be able to buy a "not for resale" promo CD?
- Should their be a time limit on the above ?
- Will this harm or hinder people sending out demo CDs?

No comments: