Friday, June 20, 2008

ELLIOT SHAND'S ACOUSTIC NIGHT AT THE DURELL


You guys missed a party on Sunday! Didn’t you hear me say that Alyson was gigging at the Durell in Fulham on Sunday? Let me tell you something it was phat.! An’ when i say phat I mean bubbling over with music entertainment and drama. The evening kicked off with a Brutus bearded "hellraisin" foot stomper from a brilliant Devonian One man and his Guitar called Ben Godard who really tore through his set and had us all going and what an excellent unique voice this man had he was whooping and roaring and did he bang that guitar? Yep! Sho’ did. He was followed by a big black Canadian singer who is on an international tour at the moment and only in Britain for two days. Damian Alexander, was flying out the the same evening directly from his set on stage to go to Hong Kong. Damian’s style was so unique I certainly have never seen any thing heard anything like him before. If this is what they are doing in Canada these days I better start listening a little bit harder. He was good and I particularly loved his second song which was part ballad part rapoetry Loved it loved it loved it.

The next act I want to tell you about is My Man “Mozes” In fact you know what I am not going to talk about Mozes because I got so much to say about MOZES that I gonna save it all for a blog of his own. And when I talk about Mozes I want to have something up here that I can link you to so’s you’ll understand why I love him so much.

Anyway, back at the Durell in Fulham the Joint was jumping and people were stomping and cheering and This wasn’t only for Alyson who put on a fine set this time singing whilst accompanying herself on keyboards (damned that girl is talented) but the promoter of the gig Elliot Shand got in on the act from offstage when he picked up his sax, crouched down in a wall seat to the left and off the stage. Black cap pulled over his eyes low it was just Elliot and the sax and the sax n Elliot and he blew that M.....F...... and riffed down into some deep dark dirty, did I say DIRTY dirty sex music. Well my dears..... The place erupted in ecstatic applause even before the end of his solo, and Elliot just kind of crouched there half embarrassed half proud peeking out from under his cap and took his applause with a nod and took his applause with a little smile. I think I glimpsed a hint of self satisfaction. It was a great night Elliot and a lovely little piece of sexophone you put down there m’boy!

The banger of the evening came when Alyson did a freestyle singin' straight to rap in the middle of her rendition of aint no sunshine and boy the girl took it to another level reinterpreted the mother and took possession of not only the song but the audience as well. I had invited a few friends over one of which is a big ting in the music biz and he just kept looking at me and making that sign... You know that sign that two close friends don’t have to pre rehearse to know. I loved her and I went YES! YES! THANK YOU LORD! We got a live one here.

No comments: